Monday, August 26, 2013

Media Monster

I quit. This blog is a waste of time.

"Lord, help me accept the things I cannot change." Where was that prayer
 when I started this? I try to help women believe in their worth as people  made in the image of God. I fight the culture's lies. But I'm battling a Hydra, the monster of Greek legend. It had nine heads and every time a warrior cut off one head, two grew back in its place. There's no killing it.

Lies are everywhere. From the time they are toddlers, girls are valued for their looks. We inflict damage every time we greet a child with,  "Hey, pretty girl." You disagree? When was the last time you said, "Hey, smart girl," to a child? Every comment emphasizing looks is like the steady drip of an IV into her veins. The message, "Physical beauty is paramount," is infused like poison. As we grow up, every grocery store magazine rack, every photo of a beautiful model flashing on an electronic billboard tells us we're not acceptable. And today we have a behemoth called the Internet where we can find negative messages at the touch of a screen. It's hopeless.

On the other hand, this blog is only possible because the Net exists. I can spread a message to hundreds of readers in minutes. And as a Christian do I dare discount the power of the Holy Spirit to change hearts?

I pray God would convict and heal people who make money by poisoning minds.  We have to monitor what our daughters (and sons) see and hear and fight back with messages that affirm.  I'll take all the supernatural help I can get.  O Lord, fry the motherboards of the enemy.  We'll know what happened if we're driving down the highway and one of the electronic billboards reads: "Hacking Courtesy of the Holy Spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment